Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Getting Rupp'd....

 
(photo by Sports Illustrated)



This shouldn't be a surprise, but 2012 Olympic 10K gold and silver medalists Mo Farah and Galen Rupp are really fast. They're so fast that they run their "easy" runs at a sub-6:00 pace -- like 5:40. It's not a surprise because the Run SMART calculator suggests an easy pace of 5:30-5:50 for someone who can run a 26:48 10K (Rupp's PR).

Farah and Rupp are so fast that they can run 13.1 miles at an easy pace much faster than I can race that same distance; they'd probably finish about 20 minutes ahead of me.

I'm calling this -- having someone else outrun your PR race pace at their easy pace -- "being Rupp'd," as in:
Q: How'd you do in your last race?

A: Oh, I won my age group, but the overall winner totally Rupp'd me.
Of course, while most of us can point to people who Rupp us, it's also the case that if you're a runner, no matter how long it takes you to finish, you're Rupp'ing everyone on their couches.

No comments:

Post a Comment