Sunday, August 3, 2014

Warning: "24" + endurance exercise = addicting!

24: It's like potato chips; you can't stop at just one episode


If you've been reading my blog at all, it should be no surprise to read that "24" is my favorite TV show of all time. I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, and my kids know they aren't allowed to watch it until they've turned 16, but I can probably watch it endlessly.

I've watched every episode as it aired since mid-way through season 2, and then I re-watched every episode from the first hour of season 1 on DVD, and now I've re-started at the beginning of season 2 (well, actually, the last few hours of episode 1) streaming via Amazon Prime. It's still as addictive as ever for me.

I didn't get a chance to go running today, so in the evening, I told my wife that I was "going to see Jack Bauer," which is shorthand for "I'm going to work out." I hopped on my bike in the garage (I've got one of those magnetic bike trainers) and started pedaling as "24" began to stream on my Kindle Fire.

Stripped of commercials, each episode of "24" lasts just under 45 minutes. Cycling isn't as satisfying for me as running is, so 45 minutes is just okay. I'm already in danger of wanting "just a little more" . . . but "24" ends every episode in a cliffhanger! It took great self-control to get off my bike. I could easily see myself losing control and continuing to bike and watch until 2 am. Good thing I don't have an addictive personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment