Sunday, August 24, 2014

I wish my insurer would offer this incentive

Bloomberg News discusses an oil company's offer to reduce an employee's health insurance co-pay by $100/month if he would wear a FitBit tracking device to track his steps toward 1 million in a year.

(Shhh, don't tell the employer that wearable fitness trackers sometimes lead users to gain weight.)

I don't think I'd mind wearing something like that to track steps in exchange for an annual $1200 savings on health insurance premiums. Of course, I would keep the device active when I go running, instead of (usually) turning off the pedometer app on my Galaxy S5 when I run.

Hey, how about giving graduated breaks on health insurance based on how good of an age/gender-graded 5K time you can achieve in a certified race? (I have heard of employers who offer to pay 5K/10K entry fees for employees . . . I wouldn't complain about that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment