Thursday, March 2, 2023

"Star Trek: Discovery" to stop discovering after season 5


"Star Trek: Discovery" is ending after season 5, Entertainment Weekly reports. That's too bad. I'm a season behind since I don't subscribe to Paramount+ and have to wait for the blu-ray discs to reach my local library and work through the waitlist. However, I've really liked "Discovery," and it ranks as my second favorite Trek series -- behind, of course, Deep Space Nine.*

Yes, Discovery is more like the reboot movies than the Deep Space Nine or Next Generation, but I like the greater emphasis on action. What I really like, though, is the serialized nature of the show, which allows much greater character development and deeper storylines. And season 1 had amazing twists, some of which were jaw-dropping, and others of which were foreshadowed so that when they dropped, it was satisfying confirmation of what I suspected was the case.

Plus, it's got Michelle Yeoh...with a sword, no less!

* My current ranking: 

(1) Deep Space Nine: has the best overall cast of characters, intense serialization starting from the end of season 3, the funniest episodes of all the series, the most thrilling episodes of all the series, and the most interestingly philosophical episodes.

(2) Discovery: serialized, great acting especially by Michelle Yeoh, Jason Isaacs, and Sonequa Martin-Green.

(3) Next Gen: discounting seasons 1 and 2, which largely sucked

(4) Picard: I've only watched season 1

(5) Original Series: if forced to rank, I'd put it here, but it really is by itself in some many different ways

(6) Voyager: big drop-off; I think I watched all seven seasons, but it was pretty bad, and it had so much potential; basically, it could have been something like Battlestar Galactica

(7) Enterprise: I gave up after four episodes.

Incomplete (I haven't watched): Strange New Worlds, Lower Decks, Prodigy. Based on what I saw of the Pike, Spock, etc. characters on Discovery, I'd guess that Strange New Worlds would slot somewhere around 4-6, bumping Voyager and Enterprise down for sure, and maybe Picard and the original series.



No comments:

Post a Comment